QUEEN'S HARBOUR MASTER PORTSMOUTH
LOCAL NOTICE TO MARINERS
BOREHOLE WORKS WITHIN THE DOCKYARD PORT OF PORTSMOUTH
- NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN by the Queen's Harbour Master Portsmouth that borehole works in support of the Capital Dredge programme for the new Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers will commence on the 04 February 2012 within the Dockyard Port of Portsmouth.
- 27 borehole samples will be taken in the Approach Channel, Harbour Entrance and Harbour (Annex A).
- DEEP DIVER a Jackup barge (40m Length by 20m Beam) will conduct the borehole operations. Each bore hole will require DEEP DIVER to remain on station for approximately 48hrs. DEEP DIVER will display the appropriate signals in compliance with the COLREGS when conducting borehole operations.
- The first five boreholes will be sunk in the approaches to the harbour in order to familiarise local mariners with the rig.
- Whilst works are being carried out in the harbour entrance the small boat channel (GD 07/10 Refers) will be closed. Traffic management during this period will be enhanced by the Ministry of Defence Police supported by the Volunteer Harbour Patrol.
- Mariners are required to contact harbour control for traffic clearance on VHF Ch11 before transiting in and out of the harbour when the rig is working in the harbour entrance. Priority will be given to large vessels that have to commit early to passing through the entrance.
- Mariners are to keep a good lookout and pass DEEP DIVER where possible at reduced speed whilst borehole operations are being conducted. DEEP DIVER will maintain a listening watch on VHF Ch11.
- Whilst the barge is being jacked-up or refloated mariners will need to pay particular care when passing. To avoid mandatory speed limit reductions, the repositioning of rig in the harbour entrance and on the Hamilton bank will occur, when practicable, when moves of large vessels are not scheduled.
- QHM Harbour Control will be kept informed of the work in progress and may be contacted on VHF Ch 11 or by telephoning 023 92 723689 for the latest information.
- It is envisaged that the works will last approximately 7 weeks.
- Cancel this Local Notice To Mariners Sun 25th Mar 2012 (-856 days)
Thu 2nd Feb 2012
HM Naval Base, Portsmouth.
S O Hopper
Queen's Harbour Master
Owners, Agents, Charterers, Marinas, Yacht Clubs and Recreational Sailing Organisations should ensure that the contents of this Notice are made known to the masters or persons in charge of their vessels or craft.